Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Very Hungry Jackerpillar

At Jack's 4-month doctor appointment, his pediatrician told me that Jack could start on solid foods whenever I felt he was ready. I had planned on feeding him breastmilk exclusively for the first six months of his life, but as with most of my pre-baby plans, Jack didn't agree. He had reached all of the necessary  milestones for starting on solids, particularly "shows interest in others eating around him". This is a kid who can't be bothered to look up from his busy exersaucer activities when I pick him up from daycare, but open a carton of ice cream in front of him and he'll immediately drop what he's doing, stop his adorable (and constant) "talking", and just stare. He gazes at the food I'm eating or the beverages I'm drinking with such longing that I couldn't put off feeding him any longer. So on his 5-month birthday, Jack got his first taste of solid food.


I had been warned by the pediatrician and many other parents that babies usually make funny faces and spit out their first few bites of "real" food. Marc and I had the video camera on hand to capture these funny faces...only Jack didn't make any. This poor baby was so ready for big people food (if big people ate organic, whole grain, brown rice cereal mixed with breastmilk) that he scarfed down the entire bowl without batting an eye.


I think it's safe to say that we made the right decision giving this kid solid food when we did. Not only did he finish the entire bowl, he was grabbing onto it, looking for more, in between spoonfuls from his mommy or daddy. This week rice cereal, next week avocados...by 6-months this kid will have moved onto steak and sushi!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm usually all about waiting (my kids started solids at 6 1/2 months and 6 3/4 months), but it really does sound like he was ready. Neither of mine ate more than a 1/2 bite the first few times they ate. In fact it took the little one ages and ages before she really ate food. Consider yourself lucky to have such an easy eater!

    I saw on Goodreads that you're reading Super Baby Food. I was going to recommend it. Don't let her overwhelm you; both a pro and con of that book is that it has SO MUCH INFORMATION. It's a keeper though--it has recipes and ideas for way past the baby years, especially in the appendices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! I LOVE it! Keep at it...I became so fearful of E choking (my biggest fear) that I didn't continue introducing him to new foods...or pushing past his gag points! To this day I regret that.
    Keep it up girl! He is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at this Jill!!! What a doll baby!! I started all my kiddos at different times. If there's one thing I've learned is never say 'never'- or 'always'. If you're making your own food- I LOVED using the magic bullet. We literally would take what we were eating, add a little water too it and mix. The littles LOVED it! (I bought the food with the Bigs).
    On a side note- if you ever want to print your blog into a book, I found an awesome site for it- blurb or something- but I love it much better than the last company I used...
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete