
New England has been experiencing crazy amounts of snowfall this winter, which makes for scary driving (these people were not made to drive in the snow...it's like driving in a San Diego rainstorm, which is chaotic and scary, at best), but also makes for fun with the little ones. Okay, so Jack may not be ready to make snow angels or help Marc and I build a snow family, but that doesn't mean he can't have a good time. Marc's parents were really great about keeping his childhood items so that his own kids could use them one day, and for this I am grateful. There's just something so satisfying about passing a cherished toy on to the younger generation, and Marc's baby sled is no exception. I'd never seen such an awesome sled - it has a little seat for the baby to sit in, and has skis and wheels so that you can pull your little one over all kinds of terrain. So after one of this year's many blizzards, we decided to take Jack around the neighborhood for some fresh air. Marc got an old belt of his and secured Jack to the sled (the only downfall of the sled is that it doesn't have a safety belt...clearly this thing was not manufactured in this millennium)...after he was bundled up in his coziest snowsuit, of course. It was a bright day, so Jack needed his baby sunglasses, which he'd never worn before. I'm not sure if it was the snow, the sunglasses, or being dressed like the little kid in "A Christmas Story", but Jack did not crack ONE SMILE the entire time we were outside! Nor did he cry or fuss - the poor kid just sat there with the most hilarious pout on his face. I honestly cannot recall laughing that hard, ever. Every time Marc or I looked at our child, we would start up again, and it continued that way until we arrived back home after our trek around the block.

I am now trying to find other fun winter activities for infants, and I must say, there aren't many. We're anticipating another winter storm tonight - maybe inspiration will strike and I'll think of something fun for Jack. But most likely, we'll be curled up on the couch with a blanket and a book, a fire in the fireplace and daddy nearby. Sounds like heaven to me.
ADORABLE!!! I bet he was just taking all the 'newness' in on that first walk! What an amazing sled! You're right- it is too bad there isn't more to do with a little during the winter months- snuggled up with a good book in mom and dad's lap with a roaring fire does sound like a little slice of heaven though!
ReplyDeleteHugs-
L